Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ishmael

1. What are Ishmael’s two general rules on how to identify people from our culture? Do you agree with Ishmael when he says that people from all over the world are part of the same culture? Why or why not?
Our culture thinks in that we are a flawed race and that we are doomed to a life of suffering and misery,also we're the only species that lock our food under lock and key. While most would accept this as true, I think otherwise. Though I do think that we are in a way flawed, I do not believe that we are doomed to suffer in this world. We are an intelligent race so we should be able to fix the problems that we planted upon this planet.

2. Ishmael disagrees with Mother Culture’s voice that says that humans are inherently flawed. After reading through page 66 of My Ishmael do agree or disagree with him? Why?
Like I said before I do believe that we are indeed flawed in some way for if we weren’t flawed we wouldn’t of put the planet in the predicament that it is in now. If humans weren’t flawed we’d would already be using the technical advances in our position to better the planet instead of running the planet dry day in and day out.

3. Ishmael uses a parable of Tunes and Dancers to explain his idea of Takers and Leavers. Who are these Takers and Leavers and how do they relate to American culture?
I believe that the takers refer to the people who take and take and never give back. They take and take until there is nothing left for them to take. The leavers refer to the people who take only what the need to live comfortably. These people let the planet grow as intended and only take what they require to survive. In American culture I think the takers are the companies and consumers that take and take from the planet and think nothing of it. The leavers, I think, refer to those who know how to budget their money, take only the essentials, and aren’t shopaholics like most of the American society is.

2 comments:

Gage said...

I have to agree with you that humans are flawed.

Ms. Charlotte said...

I have a similar connection with this reading. I don't think we are flawed and I think our intelligence is what we need to utilize to get us out of many the messes we are in today.